10.05.2010

Costumes for the School Play - #1

This is the second year that I will be the costume committee manager for the Reagan Elementary school play! I grew up doing theater and clothing design, so making costumes is so much fun for me!! This year the play involves pretty elaborate costumes. Each student in the show will be playing the role of a musical instrument, which means they need to look semi-convincing as the instrument they are cast! That is my cue to enter... and the team that will be working with me should be assigned at some point this week, so we can get started. The show is in FOUR WEEKS! So, the rundown goes like this, appx 40 costumes, 4 weeks, hopefully two costume checkpoints and fittings, plus a full time job. Whew -- this is going to be a busy month!!

I will be meeting with one of the teachers this week to see what the costume directions are, but in the meantime I have been viewing some images online for inspiration. Check these out:

This is a lithograph of the Kingdom of Harmony:
Image from: Kingdom of Harmony Lithograph from Galerie Dramatique Costumes des Theatres de Paris
 How about this one...
Image from: www.blooloop.com
 Here are a couple of others for inspiration, to be tailored for a younger audience, of course!
Image from: www.craftster.org

Image from: www.craftster.org
So, stay tuned... I will be tracking this costume adventure and giving you the inside scoop as I go!

~Collette

No comments:

Post a Comment